History of the Library
In 1895, the first town hall was erected and it was known as Mechanics' Institute Hall and was built through the efforts of Rev. M Neilly and it was formally opened to the public on October 25, 1895. This building housed a public library, an auditorium (which also served as a movie theatre), a barbershop, and two cubicles containing the town's first bathtubs.
In 1922, a new town hall was built replacing the Mechanics' Institute. It had town offices, lodge rooms, doctor and dentist offices, a dance hall, an auditorium, library, hydro office, a barber shop operated by Charles Skinner, who was also the librarian.
On May 6, 1994, the Town Hall was demolished and the library was moved to the old Post Office/Medical Centre building, its current location.